So much has happened since I was last able to post. We have lived in our house for four weeks today, and it is proving to be a lovely place to live. Very quiet and peaceful, especially at night, when we can hear the iguanas whistling “goodnight” in the trees, the ubiquitous geckos chirping away and many other (so far) unidentifiable jungle-type noises just outside our windows. We are the only gringos in a Mexican neighborhood and our neighbors have been very friendly and welcoming.
Today, the cement is being poured for the outside stairs to the second level, and our new gate will be installed. We have gone through so many bags of cement that we can’t count them, and we have inhaled enough cement dust to construct at least one pillar of the Fremont Bridge. We have accomplished a lot in the last four weeks:
- the house has been completely rewired, with LOTS of electrical outlets;
- the kitchen has been renovated, with new counters, shelves and beautiful tile, a new stove and refrigerator;;
- the entire interior and exterior have been painted with bright and cheerful colors;
- the wall has been completed on the north and west sides of the house;
- a new elevation was created for the driveway and a cement driveway was built, with flower boxes along the outside wall;
- new fans were installed;
- beautiful new patio built in the backyard;
- a "bodega" (storage space) was built in the backyard;
- a staircase to the roof level has been built (almost);
- new wrought iron gate (almost).
I know there is more, but can't think of it all right now! I wish I could post more pictures, but for some reason, this connection won't accommodate - perhaps it is not powerful or fast enough. I'll keep trying!And our three Mexicano gatos are having a great time – climbing trees, chasing bugs and playing in the goat pasture next door. They are much happier – and safer- than they were in Vallarta, and so are we. More later – hoping for internet access soon!